Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Yearning . . .

Why is it that we always want what we can't have?  (Sigh)  We're getting ready to FINALLY sand and stain our wood floors, and I can think of a million crafty things I'd love to do right now.  But alas, I must wait until the floors are finished.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm so beyond excited to get these floors done, you have no idea.  It's been seven months.  I just wish they were done, oh, say, seven months ago!

Anyway, like I said, there are tons of projects up my sleeve waiting to be done!  Sewing will be involved.  Painting will be involved, or maybe staining.  I haven't decided yet what I want to do with my dining room table.  It will be an adventure.  It's in desperate need of a makeover.  The entire top is scratched, so the only way I've been able to conceal that is to put table cloths over it.  They're pretty and all, but I'd like the actual table to look nice.

So, why did we wait so long to do the floors?  Well, that is a question that is easily answered.  When we tore everything up in January, we didn't realize how big and messy this project would be.  First, we had to wait for the weather to be nice so that we could open windows while we sanded so that we didn't asphyxiate ourselves by breathing in so much sawdust.  Then, we had to wait for the right window in Lance's schooling.  His MBA is quite a bit harder than a Bachelor's, so he definitely needed the break in order to do a huge project like this.  Oh, and by the way, I am super proud of him for working so hard on furthering his education!  So, this is the time.  But it's been nice to wait this long, in a sense.  The scraping of the nasty gluey floor that was on top of it wasn't too stressful for me because I was able to scrape at my leisure.

This week up until "go time," I will be figuring out where all of our furniture and decorations will go, and how to seal everything off.  The living room and kitchen will pretty much be entirely bare so that the sawdust doesn't linger for a long time inside furniture and nick-nacks. I'll be sealing all of the cupboards and closets with painter's tape and sealing the doors with sheets.  We don't want to take any chances.  The seals will be there while we sand, but the furniture will still be in other rooms until we're done staining and sealing the floor, which takes a few days. 

I hope this all will be worth it.  I go crazy when there is an empty room.  To me, an empty room is like an itch I need to scratch.  It will be so fun to start decorating from scratch in the living room again, but it will drive me insane until it's finished.  The kitchen won't be so bad.  It has built-in cupboards that look nice.

So, hopefully next time I'll be able to show you so much flooring beauty that your jaw will be stuck in the open position from countless oohs and ahs.  And soon after that, I hope to get some new crafty projects started.

No comments:

Post a Comment