Friday, September 9, 2011

Marks Off My Checklist

Well, I've been pretty busy this week.  It's been great!  I love having so much to do!  There have been a few things I've been doing this week.

First, I want to tell you about my new obsession.  It's pinterest.com.  Oh my!  I LOVE this site!  I've gotten so many new ideas from it!  It's like a pin board of things you like/want to do online!  And you get tons of ideas from other people!  You need an invite in order to join, so if you want to be invited, send me an email, and I'll invite you!  You'll love it!

I finished my table!  All except for the leaves, it is finished and set up!  I stained it the same color as my floor, so it looks sort of like the table is growing out of the floor.  It's pretty awesome.  I'm super happy with how it turned out!

 This is why I refinished my table.  It was not very attractive with all the scratches and stains on it.


 See the difference in the part that's sanded?  The legs are sanded and the top is not yet.


 Closer look at the legs.  I love the grain in the wood!


 It's all finished and is in my dining room area.


 Here it is all set up.  Isn't it gorgeous!?


Remember that green couch that I needed to redo the cushions?  Well, I found a great alternative to making new ones from scratch.  You know those bean bag beans?  Yep, I used them, and so far so great!  I did this because the cushion foam is super expensive wherever you go!  And then to buy fabric to cover them would be even more expensive (we can't always find $1/yd fabric).  So, I did a little thinking outside the box.  The cushion covers that originally went with the couch were perfectly fine.  They just would have been hard to cover one big piece of foam, because they had the tufts built in.  So, I just filled them with the Styrofoam beans, and viola!  Instant cushion!  They look great!  I found the beans at Shopko on sale for $12.49 a bag.  I got two bags and used all but about half of one bag.  Here's a little filling tip: if you don't have an extra pair of hands, get a cup and pour it in from that.  Otherwise, you'll make a huge mess!  I learned the hard way on the first cushion. 

This is what I filled the cushions with.


One cushion down!


That's what the beans look like when they're in the cushion.



Entirely finished product.  I love the tufts!  It's pretty comfy too!


Well, that's what I've been up to lately, and I have tons more projects coming up.  I'm super excited for them!  Wish me luck, and I wish you luck with any projects you might have!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Both projects look great! Great idea for the couch cushions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I can't believe how crafty you are!! You rock! The table turned out absolutely BEAUTIFUL! It must make you feel amazing & accomplihsed to be able to take something like that ugly scratched up table and make it into something so pretty and new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They both look awesome! Nice job!---- Pinterest is pretty addictive - I'm glad you like it as much as I do. :)

    ReplyDelete